Keys to a Successful Interview
Preparation for the Interview
One of the most common and worst mistakes people make when interviewing, is not being prepared. When you walk into an interview, the more prepared you are, the better the chances are that you’ll succeed. The following are some tips to help you prepare for your upcoming interview:
- Research: Knowing as much as possible about a company before you walk through the doors of an interview is a huge advantage to you. You especially want to know how the company has performed in the past and what its growth potential is for the future. It is also a good idea to research the industry in which the company operates in.
- Prepare & Practice: Prepare responses to likely questions which the interviewer might ask, as well as questions you have for the interviewer. Remember practice makes perfect!
- Dress for Success:
Women’s Interview Attire:
- Solid color, conservative suit
- Professional shoes
- Limited jewelry
- Conservative hair & maker-up
Men’s Interview Attire:
- Solid color, conservative suit
- White long sleeve shirt
- Conservative tie
- Dark socks, professional shoes
- Neat, professional hairstyle
Some DO’s and DON’Ts during an interview:
- Do arrive on time or a few minutes early.
- Do greet the interviewer by title (Ms., Mr., Dr.) and last name.
- Do shake hands firmly and smile.
- Do wait until you are offered a chair before sitting and do remember body language and posture: maintain eye contact, sit upright, and look interested at all times.
- Don’t smoke or chew gum.
- Don’t rely on your application or resume to do the selling for you.
- Do show enthusiasm in the position and the company.
- Do make sure that your good points come across to the interviewer in an honest and sincere way.
- Don’t ever lie. Answer questions truthfully, frankly, and concisely. Don’t over-answer questions.
- Don’t answer questions with a simple „yes” or „no.” Explain and describe those things about yourself that showcase your talents, skills, and abilities. Give examples.
- Do remember that the interview is also an important time for you to evaluate the interviewer and their company.
- Do ask intelligent questions about the job, company, or industry.
Potential Interview Questions:
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- What do you know about our company and what we do?
- What can you contribute to this company?
- How would you motivate your employees and foster teamwork?
- What is your major weakness?
- What contributions to profits have you made at your present or former positions?
- How do you think your previous work experience will benefit you in this position?
- Why did you choose this particular career?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- Why do you have gaps in your employment history?
- Are you able to provide us with recommendations from your previous employers?
Closing the Interview
There are several simple things you can do to make a lasting impression after your interview and greatly increase your chances of success:
- Thank the interviewer for their time.
- Shake hands in closing.
- Reiterate your interest in the position.
- Follow up with the interviewer, by immediately writing them a brief note or E-mail thanking them once again for their time and re-emphasizing your interest in the position.
Common Interview Pitfalls
- Poor personal appearance or hygiene
- Overbearing, over-aggressive, and conceited „Know-it-All” attitude
- Inability to express oneself clearly
- Lack of planning and preparation
- Lack of confidence – Lacking poise, excessive nervousness
- Late for the interview
- Not knowing enough about the company or position
- Lack of genuine interest or enthusiasm
- Negative attitude
Interviews are a crucial step in your quest to landing your dream job. The success of your interview can determine your future. Here at GoWork Recruitment, we want to help you through this process and give you every tool possible to help you achieve your career goals. Since you only get one chance to make a first impression, we have provided you with some important tips which will help you prepare for your interview. These keys will help to guide you through the interview process.